Granite Is a No-Bullying Zone!

We don't want you to suffer in silence!

All of these words are bullying. Help stop bullying at GHHS and in our town!

Picasa

Courtney Moran and Cassidy Womack

Did you know that out of the 63 students we interviewed, 40 of them said that they have been bullied? That’s 57% of the students we asked. So, here’s the question to you bullies, “ Why do you hurt those around you?” According to bullyingstatistics.org, there are many reasons why people bully others. They bully others because they have been bullied themselves, they want to have some power in a life that they feel helpless, they have family issues, or they just enjoy making others feel weak in order to make themselves feel better. Bullies inflict pain on others, both mentally and physically, based on their emotions.

What many bullies don’t know is that bullying can affect people for the rest of their lives. It can create doubt in a person and make them feel as if they aren’t good enough, pretty enough, smart enough, or cool enough. In extreme cases, bullying can cause a person to take the life of another or even their own. Statistics show that over 14% of high school students have considered suicide due to bullying and 7% have attempted it.

Bullying is a serious offense. It may seem like harmless teasing or joking around, but you never know how it will affect a person. Teasing, threatening to hurt someone, spreading rumors, leaving kids out on purpose, or physically attacking someone are all considered to be forms of bullying. If you are being bullied at school and are afraid to go directly to the office, our school has an anonymous pride line where you can contact someone and have your problem solved. The number is (951) 307 6987.

In some cases, people will assume that they deserve their torment which leads to further self-degradation.  No matter how much you feel you deserve it, no one has the right to bully another person and no one deserves to be treated like they are below another or worthless. When I think of the bullying, I think of someone draining your confidence and taking the life out of someone. It’s parasitic. You don’t need to suffer in silence.

Take a stand against bullying. If you see someone being bullied at school don’t just stand by and laugh or watch, you should always report it. Whether you tell pride line or talk to an authority figure, you should never allow someone to hurt another. Overall, bullying is a major problem worldwide for all ages and grades. We need to start our campaign against bullying and it starts with you. Talk to one of your teachers, your counselor, or administration if you need help!