Apple Valley Graduate Now Leads Columbine High School to a Positive Future

Mr. Scott Christy graduated from AVHS in 1995

Mr. Scott Christy, Principal of Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado,

Ariana Barron, Writer

It is often said, that wherever you go, you will always find a piece of home. Whether it is a restaurant, a person, or an item, you can find a piece of the High Desert in at any location if you really look. Even at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, where you will find Apple Valley High School graduate, Mr. Scott Christy, who is now the principal at Columbine High School.

Scott Christy was born in Apple Valley and lived here until he graduated from Apple Valley High School in 1995. He remembers playing in the Bell Game and hanging out at his favorite restaurant, Marcellino’s. Mr. Christy recalled that his favorite teachers in high school included two of his coaches, soccer coach Chris Hampton, and baseball coach Rick Gabrielson, his English teacher, Mr. John Nunes, and history teacher, Mr. Terry Kurtz.

After high school, Christy studied at Fresno State University, where he met his wife. The two moved to Tacoma, Washington, before settling closer to his wife’s family in the Littleton, Colorado area, where he worked as an assistant principal at two different schools. After his position was eliminated, Christy landed an assistant principal position at Columbine High School.

After 8 years of his assistant principal career at Columbine, Scott was placed as the interim principal after the principal resigned. He found that he enjoyed the job, so he applied for the permanent position. Mr. Christy was selected to be Columbine’s new principal. Since then, he has strived to create career pathways for his students. He is proud to share that 80% of students from Columbine High School attend college after they graduate. As a principal  Mr. Christy is striving to prepare his students to be beneficial members of today’s society.

April 20, 2019 marked the 20th anniversary of the Columbine tragedy. Mr. Christy shared that the school received a lot of media attention. However, he wants to inform the public that the school has developed a strong community culture since the tragedy. He stated that Columbine has similar community values as Apple Valley. The idea of a close, small-town exists in both communities. Mr. Christy even stated that, “…many of my teachers at Columbine graduated from Columbine, which is similar to AVHS.” Christy mentions his teammate, Matt Rohrbaugh, and his cousin, Josh Dollar, as being some Apple Valley High School graduates that have returned to AVHS to teach, and another local cousin is Dr. Matt Leary, who is a chiropractor.

Although Columbine High School is known for its tragic place in history, Mr. Christy wants everyone to know that he, his staff, and students do not see it that way. The tragic events of April 20, 1999 is a part of their history, but those events do not define the school. The staff and students are proud of their learning and supporting culture at Columbine High School, and that culture is what is most important to them. Columbine High School has come a long way since 1999, and Christy explained that his time in Apple Valley helped him play his role in shaping a new generation at Columbine High School.