1st Barrel Game Is This Friday Night!

1st Barrel Game Is This Friday Night!

Rick Blaine, Staff Writer

The GHHS-AVHS football game is now known as the Barrel Game. Why the strange name? In decades past, barrels were used to move supplies from Victorville to Apple Valley, so a barrel is a symbol of the valley’s history. The use of a barrel was suggested by Mr. Richard Sauers, who was not only the first GHHS principal, but was also a long-time teacher at Apple Valley High School, where he was a part of the teaching staff that opened the school in 1967.

Whichever team wins the game will keep the barrel until the 2015 match. The winning team must take care of the barrel. No painting or any other changes will be allowed. A plaque on the side will be used to record the year and the score. We hope that this game will become as symbolic as other big football games in our area.

This year’s game is certain to be a great game. Our Cougars are coming off a big and surprising win over Yucca Valley, and the Sundevils are coming off a surprising loss to Silverado. Apple Valley leads the overall series by a strong 10-4 margin.

We remain hopeful that next year, the game will be played in our own stadium at GHHS. Our school remains the only major high school in the region without its own stadium.

AVHS is the home team this year, so Granite needs to sit on the visitors (east) side of the stadium. The game begins at 7 p.m. on Friday night at Newton T. Bass stadium. Please attend, wear maroon, and support your Granite Hills Cougars!