• November 10Signup for our e-newsletter at our school website, www.ghhscougars.com

• August 27Yearbooks are on sale now at the ASB store and online at Jostens!

• August 27E-mail photos to us at [email protected]

Student News for Granite Hills High School in Apple Valley, California

The Granite Planet

GLSEN Day of Silence

J Brickett

Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (a.k.a. GLSEN, pronounced “glisten”) is a leading national education organization working to make schools a safer place for LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) students. Since 1990, they have been and are making it their mission to ensure that students can attend school without the dangers of bullying regardless of who they are and/or who they like.

Programs like GLSEN’s Ally Week and GLSEN’s No Name-Calling Week promote ending bullying for and supporting LGBTQ students.

Another event, coming up on April 21, 2017, is the Day of Silence hosted by our own GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) Club. Day of Silence is when whoever decides to participate is silent for one whole day, hence the name. The students’ silence is a representation of how anti-LGBTQ people affect LGBTQ students. The students are bullied because of their gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. As a result, they do not feel safe to express themselves however they want. So, on the Day of Silence, we take away our ability to express ourselves verbally and show others what the effects of being silenced looks like. 

Everyone can take part whether by registering on their website or by taking a slip from a GSA member that will be handing them out in the morning on the date in bold above.