• November 10Signup for our e-newsletter at our school website, www.ghhscougars.com

• August 27Yearbooks are on sale now at the ASB store and online at Jostens!

• August 27E-mail photos to us at [email protected]

Student News for Granite Hills High School in Apple Valley, California

The Granite Planet

The Women’s Marches

Angelina Fowler, Writer

According to data compiled by Erica Chenoweth at the University of Denver, and Jeremy Pressman at the University of Connecticut, over 3.3 million people participated in over 500 women’s marches across the United States. Many more took place across the globe. Washington DC was flooded with more people than it was during Trump’s inauguration, despite what the President’s alternative facts might argue. Professors Keith Still and Marcel Altenburg of Manchester Metropolitan University in Britain have used density analysis to reach a 3-1 conclusion, and other groups have done the same.

Though the majority of marchers were women, men and women alike joined together to make a point. Critics often make the argument, “What rights are not being protected?” but what they fail to realize is that many are not marching only for the rights of American women. The women’s march raises awareness to countries where women are oppressed and don’t have protected rights. It raises awareness to those who rely on Planned Parenthood for a number of things besides safe abortions. And the march’s goal was to stand up for equality for all groups, not just women, but LGBTQ+ identifiers, people of colour, immigrants, and those with disabilities.

So what now? According to the New York Times, “Planned Parenthood and other groups held a training session for 2,000 organizers on turning mobilization into political action, with health care atop its priority list. David Brock, the Democratic activist, assembled a group of about 120 leading liberal donors in Aventura, Fla., to hear plans for lawsuits and other challenges to Mr. Trump.” It was encouraged for marchers to practice what they preached and sign up for organizations that interested them.

All in all, the women’s march was historically massive and the beginning of a social movement against Trump’s controversial policies.