• November 10Signup for our e-newsletter at our school website, www.ghhscougars.com

• August 27Yearbooks are on sale now at the ASB store and online at Jostens!

• August 27E-mail photos to us at [email protected]

Student News for Granite Hills High School in Apple Valley, California

The Granite Planet

Panic Attacks

Jenna Goodlet-Romero, Writer

Panic attacks are nothing like people assume. Panic attacks usually cause rapid heart rate, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, hyperventilation, chills, hot, flashes, nausea, abdominal cramping, chest pain, headache, dizziness, faintness, tightness in your throat, trouble swallowing, sense of impending death, tingling in your hands or feet. Those are only the most recorded side effects. There might be more but as you can see, a panic attack is nothing minor in most cases.

But if you have them, you might question why. Well it is unsure why but the possible factors in it is most likely, Genetics, Environmental stress, or Adaptive changes in brain function resulting from other medical or psychiatric conditions. These are the known or possible factors in why panic attacks might occur. Of course another factor might just be stressed. But be careful cause they are dangerous.

A good way to help slow or stop a panic attack is trying to take control of your breathing which is hard. But they do scare you. Panic attacks are scary and depending where you are when it happens, humiliating to have. They sometimes cause depression and anxiety, as well as suicidal thoughts.

Sadly, a panic attack generally lasts around 10 minutes or so. But if it happening for an hour or so, it would be wise to seek medical attention if you are not already.