Vandalism at 9-11 Memorial

Vandalism at 9-11 Memorial

Angelina Fowler, Writer

Sunday, September 11 was the 15th anniversary of 9/11. Occidental College, a college campus in Eagle Rock, put up 2,997 miniature American flags on Saturday night in order to honor the victims of the tragic event. They had been placed one by one along the winding walkways of the school.

On Sunday morning, the flags were found in the garbage or kicked aside, many of them destroyed. Not one of the flags was left standing. The flags had been put up by the college’s Republican Club, who also claimed that the vandals had put up flyers and posters shaming the 9/11 victims. According to the Republican Club’s Facebook post on the incident, one of the flyers read, “Americans who died in 9/11, R.I.P. the 1,455,590 innocent Iraqis who died during the U.S. invasion for something they didn’t do.” The post replied to the vandals by stating “This is beyond politics, this is about those lives that were so tragically taken.”

After finding the destruction, the students of Occidental College put back all of the flags and stood guard. But the vandalism didn’t stop there. It was reported that four students snapped the flags in front of the guards, but got away before they were identified.

On Monday morning, the vandals had destroyed the memorial once more. And again, the students replaced the flags. “If you try to destroy it, we will rebuild it.” the group promises. The college is investigating the incident, and will punish the vandals.