• November 10Signup for our e-newsletter at our school website, www.ghhscougars.com

• August 27Yearbooks are on sale now at the ASB store and online at Jostens!

• August 27E-mail photos to us at [email protected]mail.com

Student News for Granite Hills High School in Apple Valley, California

The Granite Planet

Artificial Intelligence

by Angelina Fowler, Writer

Artificial intelligence is sounding less and less like a thing of the future, and while it is still in the process of development, it will be a huge impact in the coming century. The first report of AI100, or the One Hundred Year Study on Artificial Intelligence, was recently released. According to Stanford University’s website, the study is a “100-year effort to study and anticipate how the effects of artificial intelligence will ripple through every aspect of how people work, live and play.” The 2016 report covered the definition of Artificial Intelligence, progress in the development of AI, and challenges, including the long standing fear that AI will “marginalize humans.”

Artificial Intelligence is rapidly becoming commonplace. Google recently released a new search engine software algorithm called RankBrain, which learns to guess what you’re thinking. Basically, it gives you results for what it believes you are looking for instead of what best matches your keywords. TechCrunch describes RankBrain as ANI, or artificial narrow intelligence, which is “AI for one particular thing.” It also means that “while it can perform things better than a human in one specific area, it is…a relatively weak form of artificial intelligence.”
As most people have heard, Amazon plans to eventually deliver orders by drones. Many people seem to see drones as extremely advanced technology, but in reality drones still need to be flown by a person. It will be expensive, but according to Newsweek, drones equipped with AI and voice recognition are being developed so that they can operate without guidance. Technology like this won’t always be limited to large companies, however. One day the average person may own a drone to deliver or pick things up for them. But of course, laws and guidelines must be established and this day is still years in the making.

AI is an area that must concern us all, as more and more machines replace humans, and our thoughts may be controlled by a logarithm.