The Class of 2020 Begins Life at Granite Hills

Angelina Fowler

On August 3rd over 300 students started their high school career at Granite Hills. The transition from 8th grade to 9th grade can be daunting, as there are quite a few changes from middle school. It can be even harder if you came from an entirely different district or place. The campus is bigger, and you must figure out where everything is. Classes are more difficult, and expectations are higher. It is no longer fun to stay home from school or a good idea to not do your homework, because it’s harder to catch up. There is pressure to be thinking about and preparing for college or what you want to do after graduation. What are 9th graders most nervous about? One freshman, Maria Paniagua, thinks that she is “most nervous about getting new teachers and adjusting to classes.” Dakota Stevens, who recently moved to Apple Valley, says that she is “most nervous about making new friends.”

Despite the challenges, there are also many things to look forward to in the next four years of your life. One anonymous freshman is “most looking forward to playing water polo.” Volleyball, basketball, football, baseball, track, and more are also available. There will be opportunities to expand your friendship group and attend fun social events, such as sporting events and dances. And your parents have less direct input into your academic decisions, so you will gain independence and important skills.

If you are a freshman who is still nervous about starting high school, try to think about what you can do to make it easier and less of a chore. For example, many freshmen join sports. Trying new things and going to events can make school more exciting and help you figure out what you like and don’t like. Another tip that you might hear all the time but is somehow easy to forget is to just do your work. If you fall behind, it will be harder to catch up than it was in junior high. Not to mention that your scores in high school will be more important than those you earned in middle school. So try your best to be organized, accurate, and efficient; it may seem difficult at the time, but, in the end, you’ll thank yourself.