The Dangers of Texting and Walking

Ivette Avina, Writer

There are many dangers out on the street, so don’t let your phone be one of them. Many people tend to walk to their destination while texting, or streaming the internet. There are so many apps and applications on your phone, and they can often be distracting. When you walk out on the street or even from one class to another, no matter where you are, you should not let let your phone be your first priority of attention while you are walking.

New studies show that the amount of pedestrian deaths has increased by 10% in the last year. Many people are completely oblivious to what is going on around them due to their locked focus on their screen. People tend to run into objects, people, and sometimes even cars. It is a fatal distraction that can cost a life. Often even parents have a child in one hand and their phone in the other. You can see how dangerous this can be if they are out crossing the street or even walking on the sidewalk. They are not paying attention so anything can happen and they would be in complete shock and might not even get the chance to react.
As a student I tend to be a great multitasker and even i myself have tried to walk and talk/text from class to class. I have come to the conclusion that it is simply better not to. I have accidently bumped into many people and often even walls. I have even once completely forgotten where i was going and ended up being late to class. not only is being on your phone dangerous when you are out and about but also when you are at school. You always have to be fully aware of your surroundings no matter where you are at. Anything can happen and it is better to know that your exit strategies and surrounding objects that can be used possibly as weapons. To be on the safe side, simply stay away from any distraction while on the move.