The Hesperia Zoo

Remedies Jackson, Writer

Many people think that there is nothing to do in the High Desert, because we are such a small area. You would be surprised to know that we actually have a zoo that does carry most of the animals that you see in zoos in bigger cities.

The Hesperia Zoo takes care of native, endangered, and rare animals that can be saved, which is very generous of them to do.  They offer many different events that involve the animals, and many different volunteers help. Paige Smith, who was a teacher, is now a zookeeper at the facility. “I was a percussion instructor at a high school,” she explained to VV Daily Press. “I was 20. I was ready to quit my job. We had a new band director and he was a jerk. And so I saw an ad for a zookeeper position and I applied and I’ve been here ever since.”

As she gives the tour, she explains what the screaming sound is- it’s the little arctic fox named Zero. She also goes to explain that the reason Zero is screaming is because he is happy, or excited. But outside of the sheep and that ostrich that sounded like he was straight out of, Matthew Cabe states in his article that all the other animals were more than welcoming.

Tango and Charisma, who are two beautiful Bengal tigers,  expressed their acceptance of them via some light chuffing, which is the tiger’s version of a purr. A white Bengal tiger named Bombay strolled out of his den box to say his hellos. And an active raccoon, whom the zoo names Boris, climbed the fence of his enclosure to see what they were all about while his partner in crime, who they named Bullwinkle, occupied himself with a plastic bottle.

The zoo is worth an afternoon of your time. For more information on the times or days that the zoo is open vist http://www.thehesperiazoo.com/