Teen Stress

Teen+Stress

Remedies Jackson, Writer

What is stress? In some adults’ case, stress is what you get when you work long hours at a job, take care of kids, or are struggling in life.

Most people would say that because we are teens, that we don’t go through any stress because, be basically have it all, unlike other students in different countries. I can tell any adult that has any difficulty with the fact that is different but, at the same time, stress is a feeling that’s created when we react to particular events.

The events that provoke stress are called stressors, and they cover a whole range of situations: everything from physical danger to making a class presentation, or taking a semester’s worth of your toughest subject.

The human body responds to stressors by activating the nervous system and specific hormones, and this reaction is called the stress response. When working properly, it should enhance your ability to handle things under pressure but, the stress response can also cause problems when it overreacts or fails to turn off and reset itself properly.

The stress response, which is also known as flight or fight, is critical during emergency situations. For example, if a driver has to stomp on the break of the car to avoid an accident. A more mild form of stress response is getting ready for a game or taking a final exam in a hard class. Teens go through stress all the time every day trying to save their futures, so that they won’t have to struggle.

For more information, please go to www.kidshealth.org