New Disney Princesses

Disney has been criticized for having a lack of diversity in its animated characters.

New Disney Princesses

Cassidy Womack, Writer

Last week, at the end of January, Disney announced the news of a new princess that has many people jumping for joy. For the first time ever, Disney has a Latina princess who goes by the name Elena. According to blogs.miaminewtimes.com, this is a big deal. As a matter of fact, the writer of the article, Caroline del Busto, talks about how news spread rapidly and had everyone “celebrating Disney’s move toward cultural diversity”. This Disney princess will be played by the Dominican-Republic born actress Aimee Carrero.

According to people.com, Elena will first debut in Sofia the First. The plot will be about a

young, 16-year old princess who gets imprisoned in an amulet by an evil sorceress named Shuriki while trying to protect her sister. Decades later, Sofia will discover the truth about her amulet and set out on a journey to set the princess free and return her to Avalor. After her big debut, Elena will then be given her own television series called Elena of Avalor.

While many are happy that the new series is about the Latina princess, there are some people who doubt the legitimacy of the claim that Elena is, in fact, going to be Latina. According to huffingtonpost.com, Disney never specifically said that the princess would be Latina, but whether she is or not, she will be the closest thing the company has come to making a Latina princess. Yet, there is considerable evidence on other sites that Elena will be Latina.

In fact, abcnews.go.com, talks about how the Executive Vice President and General Manager of Disney Junior Worldwide announced that the princess would be Latina, and how they are excited to be working with themes that reflect stories influenced by culture and tradition. Even as a senior in high school, I have always loved Disney movies, and I can’t wait to see what they do with this new Disney princess.