Coming Soon: Into the Woods

This excellent film will be in general release on December 25, and it has already been nominated for several awards.

Coming Soon: Into the Woods

The movie trailer for "Into the Woods"

Cassidy Womack, Senior Editor

For all of you students who are absolutely in love with Disney fairy tales, the new movie Into the Woods will be perfect for you. In a spellbinding movie (see what I did there?), many of your favorite characters will be thrown together in an epic tale. Did I mention that it’s a musical? All the things you love most about Disney are combined into one. In the storyline, we are introduced to a once-beautiful witch played by Meryl Streep, who propositions a childless baker and his wife to find a cure for her curse. During their journey, the baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt) come across Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), the Big Bad Wolf (Johnny Depp), Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Jack (Daniel Huttlestone), Lucinda (Lucy Punch), and many other fairytale characters.

Each of the characters is trying to fulfill a wish, but they soon realize that what they wish for isn’t always what they wanted. The baker and his wife want a child, and they would do anything to get one. The witch has tasked them with a series of missions in order for her to reverse her curse. They needed to get “a milk white cow, hair as yellow as corn, a blood-red cape, and a slipper of gold.” Obviously, these items could only be obtained by the fairytale characters that appear in the movie.

This screenplay was directed by Rob Marshall and airs for the first time on Christmas day, December 25, 2014. If you’re looking for something to do with your family on Christmas, you should all consider going to watch this movie. If you are in Mr. Arnt’s class, Into the Woods will get you bonus points if you need them. If that’s not incentive enough, the lure of seeing your favorite characters in one movie should be enough to have you running to the theater the minute it opens.