Student Loan Debt and the 2016 Election

Clinton would pay for it by limiting tax deductions for the rich and raising taxes.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Loan Debt and the 2016 Election

Trinity Acosta, Writer

The elected 2016 Presidential candidate will go into office on January 20, 2017. The candidates for the 2016 election for the Republicans are Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Jim Gilmore, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, John kasich, George Pataki, Rand Paul, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, Donald Trump, and Scott Walker. For the Democratic party, candidates are Lincoln Chafee, Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley, Bernie Sanders, Jim Webb, Joe Biden, Andrew Cuomo, Dennis Kucinich, And Brian Schweitzer. (www.Ballotpedia.org)

Democratic Hillary Clinton, is hoping to use an estimated $350 billion within 10 years to make college more affordable for millions of americans. She states-”No family and no student should have to borrow to pay tuition at a public college and university.” Later on, she said, “And Everyone who has student debt should be able to finance it at lower rates. I think that’s a good idea because when I go to college, I don’t want to be swarmed with student loan debt, if I need a student loan. It’s also a good Idea because, some people who have went to college and now have to pay a student loan can’t get their life started right awa,y because they have to keep paying off the loan.(www.cnn.com)

If I were in college and Hillary Clinton became the President, I would enjoy not having to pay a student loan if I needed one, I think it’s a very good Idea that she is hoping to do that; however, what about the people who have already finished college and owe student loan money? She is hoping to make it where they pay at lower interest rates, as well as their paying only 10% of their income. Another thing I was wondering, is how would it be paid for, since the government is in debt over $18.628 trillion, Clinton would pay for it by limiting tax deductions for the rich and raising taxes.   ( www.usgovernmentdebt.us)