• November 10Signup for our e-newsletter at our school website, www.ghhscougars.com

• August 27Yearbooks are on sale now at the ASB store and online at Jostens!

• August 27E-mail photos to us at [email protected]

Student News for Granite Hills High School in Apple Valley, California

The Granite Planet

2017-2018 Volleyball Season Begins

Taylor Johnson, Writer

Our volleyball team has been doing a fantastic job for the past two years. We’ve won the league championship two years in a row. The year of 2015-2016 we went undefeated 12-0. In the year of 2016-2017 we won league, but lost to Silverado one time which put us at 11-1. We’ve been to CIF playoffs two years in a row, but lost in the first round both years. This year will be an even better year!

We have two returning varsity players and nine new players: Makayla Simmons, Breanna Schafer, Elaina Cardenas (returner), Dominique Gillette, Jacquelyn Northcutt (returner), Hope Andersen, Taylor Johnson, Abigail Davis, Emme DeSimoni, Elizabeth Hele and Toni Pinto. They have been conditioning and practicing for the upcoming season, they have been working extremely to try and win a league title for the third time in a row.

I talked to their head coach, Lisa Hele and asked her what her expectations and goals for this season, and her response was ¨I am excited about our 2017 season. We have a young varsity team with a lot of heart and a lot of good team chemistry. We have been working really hard on our skills and our speed of play so we can compete at a higher level. Our goal is to win league again and perform better in the playoffs¨.

Our Lady Cougars are very excited for this season and especially excited to have fun while playing the sport they love with teammates they have grown a bond with. They have their very first scrimmage on Monday, August 21st against Riverside Prep, come out and support our Lady Cougars!