GHHS Red Cross Blood Drive

Katrina Iagulli, Writer

On August 28th 2015, Granite Hills High School hosted the Blood Drive. I attended the blood drive so I will be talking about it.

The day before the blood drive you were supposed to go to a booth they had set up at lunch and sign up, if you’re 17 or older you don’t need a parent’s consent. But if you’re 16, then you’d need a parent’s consent so you would get the paper ahead of time and, be at the blood drive on time.

Once you walk in to donate blood, you have to have your ID out, and they give you a number and a packet to skim through about the blood drive on what it is. When you’re done, you give them the packet back, and go sit with a group of other students with your number and wait for one of the nurses to call you up and go over a few things with you before they take your blood.

When the nurse called me, she took me behind this curtain and asked for my age, birthday, and address. After giving her that information, she asked for my weight and height, and I told her and the nurse said that I at least have to be 140 to give blood due to my height. I was mad at first because I couldn’t give blood; however, I understood why I couldn’t donate.

There are different types of blood donations. An ‘allogeneic’ (also called ‘homologous’) donation is when a donor gives blood for storage at a blood bank for transfusion to an unknown recipient. A ‘directed’ donation is when a person, often a family member, donates blood for transfusion to a specific individual. Directed donations are relatively rare when an established supply exists. A ‘replacement donor’ donation is a hybrid of the two and is common in developing countries such as Ghana. Blood that is used to make medications can be made from allogeneic donations or from donations exclusively used for manufacturing.

Thanks to everyone who donated blood. One pint could save a life!