Should Pep Rallies Be Voluntary?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Pep Rallies Be Voluntary?

Josie Baker, Writer

The rallies at the school are a wonderful experience, but only if you are in a club or sport. The rallies are solely pointed to this minority of students, so the majority is stuck sitting and watching while the other students have fun. For example, in the latest rally we had only one game where students could join. However, it was restricted to the captains on sports teams. To tell the truth, during that rally I overheard many students say how, “the rallies are boring.” It is common knowledge that students try to get out of going to the rallies even going to the point of hiding out in teachers’ classrooms doing work. On the bottom line, students should not be forced to go the rallies.

I am not trying to say that school spirit is not of importance, but how it should not be forced on a student. Even though it will be extra work, the school should offer supervised classrooms for students to study or other productive things during rallies. This way the students are not forced to go somewhere where they do not feel comfortable. There will still be people who would want to still go to the rallies, which is fine, but having supervised classrooms would be great for both students and teachers. After talking to multiple teachers, I came to realize that the rallies cut into the education of students and prep time for classes.

Nevertheless, ASB works hard on trying to organized the rallies, but it is more bothersome than entertaining. The rallies are the same thing every time. First, the hosts get the students to cheer for their class. Second, the host starts to introduce a couple clubs or sports. After that there is some kind of performance either by the cheerleaders or dance club. Then more clubs or sports. The game is next followed by the last of the clubs and sports. Woo hooo! That rally was just as entertaining as the last one. If every rally was going to be the same, I personally wouldn’t have gone to them.